[lfs-support] Can I set "Linux text console" to use font DejaVuSansMono.ttf.

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Sat Apr 14 12:38:05 PDT 2012

On Sun, Apr 15, 2012 at 02:38:05AM +0800, xinglp wrote:
> I've installed the fontconfig, and put DejaVuSansMono.ttf in
> /usr/share/fonts, and use fc-scan DejaVuSansMono.ttf.
> And tried to set FONT="/usr/share/fonts/DejaVuSansMono.ttf" to
> /etc/sysconfig/console , and turn on framebuffer, but it did not work.

 The fonts usable in the console work very differently from those
available in xorg.  The console is limited to 256 characters, or 512
if you do without the 'bright' set of colours, and each character is
just a set of pixels forming a cell of the desired size (8x8, 8x14,
8x16, or whatever (up to 12x22)).

 Also, the fonts are in .psf or .psfu (u for unicode) format, often
(but not necessarily) gzipped, and stored (for LFS) in
/lib/kbd/consolefonts.  man 8 setfont.  You can display a
representation of the contents of console fonts (using -' and '#')
if you build psftools, and you can even edit them, but they are very
different from the scalable fonts.

ĸen