[lfs-support] Reduce Size Of LFS Build

Kshitij Jain kjain181289 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 03:26:09 PDT 2012

On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 3:28 PM, DJ Lucas <dj at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:

> On 04/10/2012 02:10 AM, Kshitij Jain wrote:
> > Hi....
> > I am a student and working on building LFS as a project I have already
> > build the Linux but i want to reduce the size of the system to minimum.
> > Can u please suggest me ways to reduce the size of LFS.
> >

> Your question is a bit ambiguous. The solution really depends on the
> goal of the system. Take an embedded system for example. You would
> likely want to use uClibC as suggested by Firerat, but busybox is
> certainly a matter of taste. It may actually be more responsible to
> build the few utilities you need linked statically and forgo the typical
> environment completely. At an absolute minimum, you need only a kernel
> and a statically linked binary to run as init (granted, it wouldn't be
> very functional), but a kernel with no modules, a statically linked ash
> or dash, and a supported file system (with static device nodes) do
> equate to a functional (read-only) system. In fact, we used to use this
> method many many moons ago for LFS itself. The first test reboot of LFS
> had only sysvinit and bash statically linked, and that could have easily
> been reduced to just bash if desired (either 'ln -s /bin/bash
> /sbin/init' or init=/bin/bash in LILO). Yes, I had to review 1.0 (which
> I never completed) to remember exactly how it was done.
> http://archive.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs-museum/1.0/LFS-HOWTO-1.0-HTML/
>
>  Sir,
         I've already prepared the lfs system and it is working perfectly.
I just want reduce the size of the whole system (so that it is easy to
migrate) by deleting files and folders like /sources and /tools which is
not useful anymore.

Suggest me some files that i can remove.It may include help files and
documentation files.

Thank u
Kshitij Jain.