[lfs-support] Problem Booting New Kernel

Kshitij Jain kjain181289 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 7 02:45:13 PDT 2012

On 4/7/12, Thomas de Roo <thomas at de-roo.org> wrote:
> On 04/06/12 18:07, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>> Kshitij Jain wrote:

>>> My Partition Table
>>>
>>> [root at localhost ~]# parted /dev/sda print
>>> Model: VMware, VMware Virtual S (scsi)
>>> Disk /dev/sda: 32.2GB
>>> Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
>>> Partition Table: gpt-----------------not MBR
>>>
>>> Number  Start   End     Size    File system     Name  Flags
>>>   1      1049kB  2097kB  1049kB                        bios_grub
>>>   2      2097kB  526MB   524MB   ext4            ext4  boot
>>>   3      526MB   16.5GB  16.0GB  ext4
>>>   4      16.5GB  30.1GB  13.6GB  ext3
>>>   5      30.1GB  32.2GB  2097MB  linux-swap(v1)
>>>
>>> Lfs system is installed in /dev/sda4---------ext3
>>> set root=(hd0,4)
>>> menuentry "GNU/Linux, Linux 3.1-AAKAR-1.0" {
>>> linux /boot/vmlinuz-3.1-AAKAR-1.0 root=/dev/sda4 ro
>>> }
>> It appears that GRUB is doing it's job, but the kernel does not have the
>> appropriate HW drivers for VMware's emulation.  If you have another
>> VMware system that works, boot to that and run both lspci and lsmod to
>> see what that system is being loaded.  Then rebuild your kernel ensuring
>> the proper drivers are built into the kernel.
>>
>>     -- Bruce
> If you compare VMware VM's, make sure they use the same virtual
> hardware, in this case the same SCSI controller.
>
> Groet,
> Thomas
> --

Kernel Reconfigured.........
Recompiled..............
Finally WORKS!!

Thanks to all for great support...........

Looks like driver's for virtual machine is not compiled with kernel
I reconfigured the kernel with kernel options for vmware in link:

http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/VMware_Guest

and double checked with the output of lsmod and lspci command

Thanks again......!!