[lfs-support] Problem Booting New Kernel

Kshitij Jain kjain181289 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 01:43:19 PDT 2012

On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 9:43 PM, Andrew Benton <andy at benton.eu.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 04 Apr 2012 16:54:08 +0100
> Kshitij Jain <kjain181289 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > After Configuring the Grub........and restarting the system my system
> grub
> > menu shows and kernel boots. After few seconds it stops loading on
> > following snapshot shows the booting
>
> >From the image the kernel has clearly not found the root partition.
> What was the kernel command line from grub.cfg? What does the partition
> table look like? Which partition were you trying to use as your root?
>
> The image appears to be a screenshot which suggests that this was done
> in a virtual machine. I've never used a virtual machine so I can't help
> if that's the source of the problem.
>
> Andy
> --

My Partition Table

[root at localhost ~]# parted /dev/sda print
Model: VMware, VMware Virtual S (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 32.2GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: gpt-----------------not MBR

Number  Start   End     Size    File system     Name  Flags
 1      1049kB  2097kB  1049kB                        bios_grub
 2      2097kB  526MB   524MB   ext4            ext4  boot
 3      526MB   16.5GB  16.0GB  ext4
 4      16.5GB  30.1GB  13.6GB  ext3
 5      30.1GB  32.2GB  2097MB  linux-swap(v1)

Lfs system is installed in /dev/sda4---------ext3

Grub.conf

# Begin /boot/grub/grub.cfg
set default=0
set timeout=5
insmod ext2
set root=(hd0,4)
menuentry "GNU/Linux, Linux 3.1-AAKAR-1.0" {
linux /boot/vmlinuz-3.1-AAKAR-1.0 root=/dev/sda4 ro
}

Thanks in Advance...........