[lfs-support] Adding firmware to the kernel

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Thu Apr 5 18:22:41 PDT 2012

On Thu, Apr 05, 2012 at 08:05:35PM -0500, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Ken Moffat wrote:
> >  My latest machine has an ATI 760G (Radeon 3000) video controller.
> > According to dmesg, it is trying to load R600_rlc.bin for KMS.  So,
> > I got the firmware, and put it in firmware/radeon/ in the kernel
> > tree.  But it doesn't find it (this is without an initrd).
> >
> >  My config includes
> > CONFIG_FIRMWARE_IN_KERNEL=y
> > CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE="R600_rlc.bin"
> > CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE_DIR="firmware/radeon/"
> >
> >  Any idea what I'm doing wrong, please ?
>
> Checking ubuntu, their config has:
>
> CONFIG_PREVENT_FIRMWARE_BUILD=y
> CONFIG_FW_LOADER=y
> CONFIG_FIRMWARE_IN_KERNEL=y
> CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE=""
>
> The directory structure is below.
>
> Other than that, I don't know much about how the firmware is built or
> accessed.
>
>    -- Bruce
>
> /lib/firmware/radeon
[ snip a fully-populated directory listing ]

 Thanks, but Andy has pointed the way to go.  Looks as if there is a
problem with putting the full directory name in the directory part.

 For ubuntu, they will be loading it into the initrd.
CONFIG_FW_LOADER is apparently so that userspace can load (some)
firmware.

 Cheers.

ĸen