[lfs-support] Adding firmware to the kernel

Andrew Benton andy at benton.eu.com
Thu Apr 5 17:50:01 PDT 2012

On Fri, 06 Apr 2012 01:26:03 +0100
Ken Moffat <zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com> wrote:

>  My latest machine has an ATI 760G (Radeon 3000) video controller.
> According to dmesg, it is trying to load R600_rlc.bin for KMS.  So,
> I got the firmware, and put it in firmware/radeon/ in the kernel
> tree.  But it doesn't find it (this is without an initrd).
>
>  My config includes
> CONFIG_FIRMWARE_IN_KERNEL=y
> CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE="R600_rlc.bin"
> CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE_DIR="firmware/radeon/"
>
>  Any idea what I'm doing wrong, please ?

Nothing obvious leaps out at me. The only thing I can suggest is
perhaps the kernel is looking for radeon/R600_rlc.bin? Try setting it
like this:
CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE="radeon/R600_rlc.bin"
CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE_DIR="firmware"

This works for me (with a different Radeon card):

# CONFIG_PREVENT_FIRMWARE_BUILD is not set
CONFIG_FW_LOADER=y
CONFIG_FIRMWARE_IN_KERNEL=y
CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE="radeon/BARTS_mc.bin radeon/BARTS_me.bin radeon/BARTS_pfp.bin radeon/BTC_rlc.bin"
CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE_DIR="/lib/firmware"

Andy