[lfs-support] wget and openssl

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Mon Apr 2 16:08:22 PDT 2012

On Mon, Apr 02, 2012 at 06:41:07PM -0400, Jim Washko wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 4:51 PM, Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Jim Washko wrote:

 Jim, please *trim* what you are replying to!
> I then booted and everything looks good.
>
> I went to test wget by attempting to get Zip. (wget http//
> downloads.sourceforge.net/infozip/zip30.tar.gz
>
> It tells me
>
> "Resolving http... failed: Name or service not known.
> wget: unable to resolve host address 'http'
>
> Is there something else I need to use this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jim Washko

 I think you have one or perhaps two errors here -

The first is that you've got typos in the address/protocol for that
file - (a) you should have http://downloads... with a colon, and
(b) it looks like you put a space after the '//'.

 If I try wget 'http// ' I get the same error (in my case I then
got an error for the next line, downloads.sf/path/to/file, because
no protocol had been specified).

 I also suspected that you might have failed to put a nameserver
in /etc/resolv.conf - that would give a similar error but
specifiying the http://downloads... part in the error message.  See
section 7.2.3 if you did miss that, and if in doubt use the google
DNS addresses at the bottom of that page.

ĸen