[lfs-support] wget and openssl

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Sun Apr 1 18:29:47 PDT 2012

Ken Moffat wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 01, 2012 at 07:25:36PM -0400, Jim Washko wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am working on getting wget installed and it seems I need openssl.  I go
>> to untar it, change to that folder, and run the following command:
>>
>> patch -Np1 -i ../openssl-1.0.1-fix_manpages-1.patch &&
>> ./config --prefix=/usr   zlib-dynamic \
>>          --openssldir=/etc/ssl shared &&
>> make
>>
>> After this I get an error:
>>
>> perl: warning: falling back to the standard locale ("C")
>> perl: warning: setting locale failed,
>> perl: warning: Please check that your locale settings:
>>        LANGUAGE = "en_US",
>>        LC_ALL = (unset),
>>        LANG = "en_us.iso88591"
>>     Are supported and installed on your system.
>> perl: warning: Falling back to the standard locale ("C")
>>
>> This just loops now.
>>

>> Any ideas on how to fix this?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Jim
>
>  I remember lots of perl warnings about my locale, but I just ignore
> them and the build doesn't usually hang.  I do wonder if your locale
> is set correctly (I would expect to see something like iso-8859-1
> for the legacy locale), but I doubt that this is the problem.
>
>  When you say it just loops, what is it doing ?
>
> ĸen [ 'ken', since you can't handle UTF-8 ]

It's not clear where the problem is.  I don't have any of those
warnings.  First I'd suggest running patch, config, and make separately
to narrow down where the problem is.  Then ^C out of the failing program
and look at what is being executed.  For instance, my log has:

/usr/bin/perl x86_64cpuid.pl elf > x86_64cpuid.s

There are 21 of these perl invocations in my log.  Since these are only
warnings and not errors, perhaps you are not letting the program run
long enough.

You can also narrow down what is happening by changing to the crypto
directory and then just run the above line.

You can also test perl with

cat > test.pl <<EOF
#! /usr/bin/env perl

printf "Hello\n"