[lfs-support] wget and openssl

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Sun Apr 1 17:07:19 PDT 2012

On Sun, Apr 01, 2012 at 07:25:36PM -0400, Jim Washko wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am working on getting wget installed and it seems I need openssl.  I go
> to untar it, change to that folder, and run the following command:
>
> patch -Np1 -i ../openssl-1.0.1-fix_manpages-1.patch &&
> ./config --prefix=/usr   zlib-dynamic \
>          --openssldir=/etc/ssl shared &&
> make
>
> After this I get an error:
>
> perl: warning: falling back to the standard locale ("C")
> perl: warning: setting locale failed,
>        LANGUAGE = "en_US",
>        LC_ALL = (unset),
>        LANG = "en_us.iso88591"
>     Are supported and installed on your system.
> perl: warning: Falling back to the standard locale ("C")
>
> This just loops now.
>

> Any ideas on how to fix this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jim

 I remember lots of perl warnings about my locale, but I just ignore
them and the build doesn't usually hang.  I do wonder if your locale
is set correctly (I would expect to see something like iso-8859-1
for the legacy locale), but I doubt that this is the problem.

 When you say it just loops, what is it doing ?

ĸen [ 'ken', since you can't handle UTF-8 ]