Kernel config, how to find which kernel driver I need?

Carl Thorn thorncs at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 30 09:37:46 PDT 2011

________________________________
From: Kuangyu Jing <kuangyujing at gmail.com>
To: lfs-support at linuxfromscratch.org
Sent: Wed, March 30, 2011 7:10:27 AM
Subject: Kernel config, how to find which kernel driver I need?

Hi,

I'm trying to build kernel without module support. But I don't
know how to find drivers I need.

i did,
* lsmod in another distribution (debian lenny) to find loaded modules
* lspci to find devices connect to my PC

But Device Drivers (kernel menuconfig) has a lot of drivers I don't
know such as I2C support, something in Serial ATA and Parallel ATA
drivers, etc.

So, how can I find which kernel driver I need?

Thanks,
Kuangyu Jing

You might try lshw to get more hardware info.