Creating a OpenVz template with a LFS

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Mar 27 15:34:08 PDT 2011

On Sun, Mar 27, 2011 at 11:45:50PM +0200, Julien BODIN wrote:
> Actually I just want a reliable and fast system which can be
> virtualized. I don't want to use CPU or RAM for other things that I
> really use.
> But this is not related to lfs, because I'm doing it just because I
> want to know how a distribution work.
>
> I was just curious about the fact that a lfs can or can't be faster
> than another distribution (with same versions, configuration and
> hardware), but in LFS we do not use optimization with gcc (as it can
> be done with gentoo, for example, or with archlinux) so I think it
> will be slower.

 With the same versions (everywhere), same configuration (including
e.g. CFLAGS), and same hardware - everything is identical (by
definition).  Nobody is stopping you using your own CFLAGS : your
distro, your rules.  But, please remember that any test results from
optimisations are changed by: different hardware (newer generations
of CPUs, different cache sizes, different amounts of RAM) and
different toolchain versions.  If you want to create your own tests,
and run them enough times to be sure that your results are
repeatable, then don't let me stop you.

 In my own case, I was an early user of amd64.  Finding tests which
were meaningful to what I was doing took quite a lot of time, as did
running them.  In my experience, there is a lot of variablility in
how long things take to run - I wouldn't have much confidence that
testing an extra -fdo-it-faster switch was reliably identified in
execution times, except in very specialized cases.

 In practice, at various times different distros have different
compilers, as well as varying versions of some other packages, and
different compile switches and optimizations.

ĸen