Creating a OpenVz template with a LFS

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Sun Mar 27 14:13:08 PDT 2011

On Sun, Mar 27, 2011 at 10:37:33PM +0200, Julien BODIN wrote:
> Ok, I think I will do some benchmarks in proxmox (with KVM, easier)
> with a BLFS and a archlinux.
> I need a fast mysql database :-)
> (well, don't really need it but i want it :D).
>
>  Julien

 Why don't you use your time to *tune* mysql for your requirements ?
I don't have any interest in it these days (I prefer a different
database for my currently limited usage, and I don't want to get into
a vim/emacs type of flamewar :) but I can remember that a few years
ago I was reading several books on it.  Things like different table
types (they all have tradeoffs), and probably a host of other
configuration options.  And perhaps different column types in the
tables, if you have options, and different indexing options.

 Googling for "tuning mysql" finds 14.6 million results, but those
on the front page all look useful (of course, some might be outdated
- probably best to start at dev.mysql.com/doc - and it looks as if
arch is using 5.5).  Hopefully, 5.5 is faster - it presumably has a
longer expected lifespan than 5.1.

 However, I have to admit that I've never attempted to use a VM, and
it's possible that it introduces enough overhead to alter the
results.  So, for reliable results you really need to test on the
hardware you will be using (ok, test in a VM if you only intend to
run it like that).

ĸen