make[1]: Nothing to be done for `all-target'.

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Mar 27 13:51:49 PDT 2011

On Sun, Mar 27, 2011 at 10:37:25PM +0400, fuflono wrote:
> You have just 3 tests failed for 23431 tests passed. I'm not an
> advanced users but it seems to be ok.
>
> Julien
 Dejagnu is in chapter 5.  Please read the 'Note' after the second
paragraph at
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/stable/chapter04/abouttestsuites.html

 In general, tests in chapter 5 can sometimes highlight problems
from a change to *how* things are built (I've seen this while clfs
was being developed), and the lack of differences was a good
confirmation for me (and took a few attempts, I think) when I
completely rewrote my own build scripts).  But for that, you need
your *own* known good recent test results from chapter 5 (someone on
a different CPU, or different host distro, or different kernel
release, might get different results).  So, for most people building
LFS, running tests in chapter 5 is a waste of time and electricity.
> ---------------
> Good afternoon again.
> Thanks, this gives a little hope.
> Is another worried, that such lines in the preceding chapters :......
> make[1]: Nothing to be done for `all-target'.
> make[3]: Nothing to be done for `install'.
> make[1]: Nothing to be done for `install-target'.
> It is normally?
> ----------Fuf.

 Depends in which subdirectory it happens ;)  Some packages in LFS
are complex things - they have several directories, some of which
are for internal dependencies which get built into a library and
statically linked into the programs, others of which are for optional
features which might not get installed in chapter 5 (particularly,
documentation), and some might be for things that aren't ever built
on linux.

 If this is your first build, probably all you can reasonably do is
check that *something* got installed by each package (look at
timestamps using 'ls -l' in e.g. /tools/bin, /tools/include,
/tools/lib, and if in doubt review your command history against what
the book says you should have typed, and check chapter 6 for what
you might hope to find.  Usually, the last few lines of output from
'make install' will give you enough confidence that it ended
correctly ( if in doubt, 'echo $?' BEFORE you key any other commands
) and it will hopefully show something that was installed

ĸen