can't change MBR

piper.guy1 piper.guy1 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 27 09:06:35 PDT 2011

Hi,

I'm almost finished LFS-6.7. I verified that grub works in section
8.4.3 and LFS boots up without any hitches.

But now section 8.4.4 requires the change to the MBR with the
'grub-setup' command. But it just won't work for me. I getting
segmentation faults and syntax errors.

root:/# grub-setup '(hd0)'
Segmentation fault
root:/# grub-setup /dev/sda
Invalid device `/dev/sda'.
Try `grub-setup --help' for more information.
root:/# grub-setup "/dev/sda"
Invalid device `/dev/sda'.
Try `grub-setup --help' for more information.
root:/# grub-setup '/dev/sda'
Invalid device `/dev/sda'.
Try `grub-setup --help' for more information.
root:/# grub-setup '\(hd0\)'
Invalid device `\(hd0\)'.
Try `grub-setup --help' for more information.
root:/# grub-setup '/(hd0/)'
Invalid device `/(hd0/)'.
Try `grub-setup --help' for more information.
root:/# grub-setup \(hd0\)
Segmentation fault

What am I doing wrong?

thanx