Grub install tesing

piper.guy1 piper.guy1 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 27 09:00:10 PDT 2011

On Sun, Mar 20, 2011 at 2:43 PM, Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com> wrote:
> piper.guy1 wrote:
>> Is it me or is the first paragraph in section 8.4.3 in LFS-6.7 badly worded?
>>
>> It sounds to me it's suggesting how to add the new LFS-6.7
>> installation to the existing GRUB simply by exiting the chroot
>> environment and then going back into the chroot environment.
>>
>> "To accomplish this, you will need to exit the chroot environment and
>> re-enter it to finish the few remaining portions of the book."
>>
>> I did the above and tried to reboot as descibed, but the reboot failed
>> due to the command's inability to determine runlevel....and something
>> else which escapes me know. Bottom line, it couldn't reboot from the
>> chrooted environment.
>>
>> Still not sure what getting out and then back in to the chrooted
>> environment was intended to accomplish.
>
> You are rebooting your hardware.  You shouldn't try to initiate that
> from chroot.
>

>> Anyways after puzzling and pondering over this section for a while I
>> decided to simply exit chrooted environment, restart my machine,
>> escape into grub, and do the grub commands listed in section 8.4.3.,
>> which worked.
>
> Yes.  That's what the book says to do.

Respectfully I don't agree. I still maintain the instructions in this
section are
confusing.

If you read the quote it definitely says to get out of the chrooted
environment, and then to re-enter it. There's nothing that says to perform
the subsequent reboot and grub commands when you get out of the chrooted
environment. It does imply that the reboot and grub commands are performed
after you re-enter it.

I don't see how you can interpret it any other way.