lfslivecd

Neal Murphy neal.p.murphy at alum.wpi.edu
Tue Mar 22 14:59:00 PDT 2011

On Tuesday 22 March 2011 17:10:52 Mike McCarty wrote:
> Why do you say that? IME, most of the time is spent in the
> compiler, not reading the CD-ROM. It takes a few seconds to
> read the CD-ROM to get the compiler going, and then it runs.
> Usually, most of it gets cached.

Only if you have enough RAM. Taking a SWAG, 2GB ought to be enough to cache
the utilities (binutils, gcc, et al) and libs and leave working space for
building the tool chain. To build LFS (the basic system), I imagine 6-7GB
would be enough to cache the whole build. Once the tools and utilities are
cached, the CD should rarely be accessed when building the toolchain (Ch.5);
it should almost never be accessed when building the final phase (Ch.6).

When building my version of Smoothwall on my quad-core 8GB desktop system,
I've found that about 6.5GB of stuff gets cached over the 90-120 minute build;
LFS should be similar in size, maybe 1GB smaller. I also found that preloading
a 7GB ramdisk only saves about 5 minutes real time building from scratch; it
takes at least that long to load the ramdisk with the source tarballs,
patches, &cet. Linux's file caching is *very* good when you have enough RAM.