Grub install tesing

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Sun Mar 20 11:43:32 PDT 2011

piper.guy1 wrote:
> Is it me or is the first paragraph in section 8.4.3 in LFS-6.7 badly worded?
>
> It sounds to me it's suggesting how to add the new LFS-6.7
> installation to the existing GRUB simply by exiting the chroot
> environment and then going back into the chroot environment.
>
> "To accomplish this, you will need to exit the chroot environment and
> re-enter it to finish the few remaining portions of the book."
>
> I did the above and tried to reboot as descibed, but the reboot failed
> due to the command's inability to determine runlevel....and something
> else which escapes me know. Bottom line, it couldn't reboot from the
> chrooted environment.
>
> Still not sure what getting out and then back in to the chrooted
> environment was intended to accomplish.

You are rebooting your hardware.  You shouldn't try to initiate that
from chroot.

> Anyways after puzzling and pondering over this section for a while I
> decided to simply exit chrooted environment, restart my machine,
> escape into grub, and do the grub commands listed in section 8.4.3.,
> which worked.

Yes.  That's what the book says to do.

The only commands left after that are in section 8.4.4 and 9.1.  Section
9.3 is just cleanup.  If you reboot into the new LFS system at section
8.4.3, you can do 8.4.4 and 9.1 from there and 9.3 is not necessary
other than to test what you did in section 8.4.4.

   -- Bruce