gcc test failures

Simon Geard delgarde at ihug.co.nz
Sun Mar 13 23:57:46 PDT 2011

On Sun, 2011-03-13 at 20:48 -0700, Alex Bosworth wrote:

> I were making use of "-j2"  make option, I wonder if would make a
> difference if I set it to "-j1" and lower the priority for make
> (perhaps set it to +20 ?) and see if that helps to keep the heat
> low !?

Changing the priority doesn't really do anything to reduce load on the
machine - it just means that those processes will be treated as less
important when competing for CPU time. If there's nothing else running,
there's no competition, so they'll still get all the CPU time they can.

However, changing from -j2 to -j1 (or removing it entirely) may help,
since only one process will be wanting CPU time at once.

Simon.