gcc test failures

Neal Murphy neal.p.murphy at alum.wpi.edu
Sun Mar 13 21:15:39 PDT 2011

On Sunday 13 March 2011 23:48:52 Alex Bosworth wrote:
> I were making use of "-j2"  make option, I wonder if would make a
> difference if I set it to "-j1" and lower the priority for make (perhaps
> set it to +20 ?) and see if that helps to keep the heat low !?

'-j 1' will definitely make a difference, but setting the nice value won't
(assuming you aren't running any unrelated cycle-munching programs). If that
isn't enough, then reduce the maximum processor frequency via cpufreq-utils or
via the /proc or /sys interface. Take a gander at:
  http://idebian.wordpress.com/2008/06/22/cpu-frequency-scaling-in-linux/
Try setting it to 'powersave' while compiling gcc and otherwise set it to
ondemand.