GRUB problems

JAMC60 jamc60 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 00:10:09 PST 2011

2011/3/7 Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com>

> JAMC60 wrote:
> > Hi.
> > I'm trying to install lfs-6.8 via ssh in a somehow old PC.
> > All seems to be ok but the last step: Using grub to set up the boot
> process
> > The output of device.map is:
> >
> > (fd0)    /dev/fd0
> > (hd0)    /dev/hda
> >
> > So, the next step is:
> > grub-install /dev/hda
>
> No, the next step is grub-install --grub-setup=/bin/true /dev/hda
>
> This copies the files to /boot, but does not update the MBR.  Later,
> after testing (8.4.3), you update the MBR in section 8.4.4.
>
> Yes, you are right but in that system there is not any other OS installed.
I am using a LFSLiveCD remasterized with auto ssh to install LFS-6.8 and I
want to update the MBR directly.

I have found the solution. That system have not any floppy disk drive
installed but in the BIOS, the fd drive is enabled (1.44M....) and GRUB2
look for that fd without success. I have to disable the fd in BIOS and now,
the output of grub-mkdevicemap is:

(hd0)    /dev/hda

and other commands ran succesfully.

Many thanks.