libgcc_s not installed in /lib?

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Mar 5 18:34:48 PST 2011

On Sun, Mar 06, 2011 at 02:09:43AM +0100, Tadeus (Eus) Prastowo wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I use LFS Book development version SVN-20110218.
> Everything goes well up to chapter 6.10 "Re-adjusting the Toolchain" in which
>
> echo 'main(){}' > dummy.c
> cc dummy.c -v -Wl,--verbose &> dummy.log
>
> gives the following error from ld:
> /tools/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/4.5.2/../../../../i686-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld:
> cannot find -lgcc_s
>
> find / -type f -name 'libgcc_s*' returns only: /tools/lib/libgcc_s.so.1
>
> However, the SEARCH_DIRs of ld are only the following three:
> /tools/i686-pc-linux-gnu/lib
> /usr/lib
> /lib
>
> Doing: ln -s /tools/lib/libgcc_s.* /lib fixes the problem and all
> conditions stated in chapter 6.10 are fulfilled.
>
> However, I am curios as to whether this is totally fine or not.
> Therefore, I would like to hear your opinions. Specifically, I am
> wondering why libgcc_s.so.1 is not installed in one of the search
> paths of ld.

[snip]

 I think you've missed one of the symlinks in section 6.6 ?

ln -sv /tools/lib/libgcc_s.so{,.1} /usr/lib

 Linking these to /lib probably means the temporary versions in
/tools will still be found after the final gcc has been installed,
until you reboot.  That is unlikely to be a problem, but the book's
version of the symlinks is cleaner and ought to avoid your problem.

ĸen