Problem Compiling GCC Ch5 Stage 1

Test Man mr_nobby at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 5 08:56:04 PST 2011

As the title says.

Initially reported here:

http://www.mail-archive.com/lfs-book@linuxfromscratch.org/msg13114.html

then more recently here:

http://www.mail-archive.com/lfs-book@linuxfromscratch.org/msg14502.html

The solution was found here:

http://www.mail-archive.com/lfs-book@linuxfromscratch.org/msg12674.html

It's happened again just in the last couple of days, this time on an AMD Athlon-XP 2400+ with a Gentoo LiveCD as the host. The rest of the build has no problems (as usual).

So, I've discounted the antique hardware, CFLAGS & CXXFLAGS are unset and the host OS and target version of LFS are pretty much out of the picture.

I'm lost as to what else could be a factor here. Apart from the initial posting of the solution to use "make all-gcc all-target-libgcc" instead of "make" and "make install-gcc install-target-libgcc" instead of "make install", am I the only one who suffers this oddity?

Looking for any sensible ideas/suggestions.