"auto" in /etc/fstab

Estevao B. K. icmp.request.lists at gmail.com
Thu Sep 30 18:21:38 PDT 2010

On 09/30/2010 07:52 PM, Mark Knecht wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 2:18 PM,<rhubarbpie at poetworld.net>  wrote:
>>
>> Is there a disadvantage of using auto for file system type in the
>> /etc/fstab file?  I have three non-swap partitions.  Why not list them
>> all as auto?

That's a good question... But since all the filesystem partitions that I
use for most of my Linux systems are ext3, the potential risks overcome
any benefit.

One thing that I use, though, is the argument LABEL instead of UUID or
the absolute path for a partition. It gives flexibility and assures me
that even if I change my disks order, I will not have to worry about it.

Most popular distros use UUID, but this changes every time you
re-format. Label too, but it's much more simple to format as
LABEL=LFS-HOME e.g. than re-specify the very long UUID number that your
partition had.