LFS Init scripts?

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Thu Sep 30 15:22:57 PDT 2010

On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 2:39 PM, Ken Moffat <ken at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 01:32:09PM -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
>>
>> Thanks Bruce. I'm sure that will help me move forward.
>>
>> Am I fooling myself in thinking that for a very simple hardware
>> system, maybe just an EXT2 boot, EXT3 / and a swap partition, that for
>> this specific machine the init scripts might be reduced to something
>> like 10-20 bash commands which get me to the bash command line where
>> as root I could use the system?
>>
>  I hesitate to suggest things to someone who has used linux for
> quite a bit longer than I have [ I only started in late 1999 ], but
> how about booting (an LFS system) with init=/bin/bash ?  At that
> point, '/' is read-only, and you can run the individual scripts to
> make it usable.
>
>  It's a while since I've had to do that, but I think you need to run
> the scripts in rcsysinit.d before moving to the scripts for the
> desired runlevel.
>
>  But, yes, for an embedded system /sbin/init could be a script.  For
> most people who don't want a full-blown sysvinit, busybox is
> probably nicer than a script.
>
> ĸen
> --

Hi Ken,
   Not that much difference in time between you and I. What's a couple
of years when you've been at it for a decade or longer? ;-)

   Actually, init=/bin/bash is exactly what I'm doing with a Gentoo
system to play around with this right now but I haven't then managed
to get through the whole init process by hand and make the system
really operate correctly. I haven't completely the LFS system built
yet but when I do expect I'll do the same thing.

   While the building the software part of LFS isn't really my focus I
figure it will be good experience to go through that process once or
twice. The init scripts - learning what they do and in what order - is
what I'm curious about. I figured from the LFS progress description
there may be one or two folks here willing to share some of their
experience in that area. (I hope!)

   Thanks for the suggestion!

Cheers,
Mark