LFS Init scripts?

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Sep 30 14:39:52 PDT 2010

On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 01:32:09PM -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:

> Thanks Bruce. I'm sure that will help me move forward.
>
> Am I fooling myself in thinking that for a very simple hardware
> system, maybe just an EXT2 boot, EXT3 / and a swap partition, that for
> this specific machine the init scripts might be reduced to something
> like 10-20 bash commands which get me to the bash command line where
> as root I could use the system?

 I hesitate to suggest things to someone who has used linux for
quite a bit longer than I have [ I only started in late 1999 ], but
how about booting (an LFS system) with init=/bin/bash ?  At that
point, '/' is read-only, and you can run the individual scripts to
make it usable.

 It's a while since I've had to do that, but I think you need to run
the scripts in rcsysinit.d before moving to the scripts for the
desired runlevel.

 But, yes, for an embedded system /sbin/init could be a script.  For
most people who don't want a full-blown sysvinit, busybox is
probably nicer than a script.

ĸen