LFS Init scripts?

Thiago Padilha tpadilha84 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 30 13:15:50 PDT 2010

Hi,

To learn how to create a minimal linux system read these articles :

http://landley.net/writing/rootfs-intro.html
http://landley.net/writing/rootfs-howto.html
http://landley.net/writing/rootfs-programming.html

Also take a look at this :

http://jootamam.net/howto-initramfs-image.htm

All these documents talk about creating a system using only busybox inside
initramfs which is a root filesystem that gets passed as a parameter to the
kernel by the boot loader. All of the examples use a very simple script to
start the system, this is the basic concept used in the Tiny Core linux(
http://www.tinycorelinux.com/).

To really understand the LFS init scripts(or any other big initialization
script collection) you have to learn bash programming first, a good
introductory reading is : http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Bash-Prog-Intro-HOWTO.html.
When I did my first LFS build I also wanted to understand linux
initialization, and reading LFS init scripts was hard without bash
background, so I decided to rebuild LFS using only bash scripts, its a great
way to learn bash and how to organize large bash programs.