LFS Init scripts?

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Thu Sep 30 12:24:11 PDT 2010

Hi,
   I've recently found LFS. Thanks to those that feed and care for it.
Nice project.

   I've read through the book once and started my first build. It's
proceeding fine. I'm typically a Gentoo user so most of what's going
on in terms of building software is relatively familiar and I'm not
having any trouble. (Yet!)

   That said my reason for searching out and trying LFS is to learn
more about init scripts. It seems that the LFS init scripts - if I
understand them and likely I don't - sort of leave the init scripts
alone and as a result they remain sort of generic. They handle lots of
different file system types and many conditions I don't think will be
important to me.

   My personal goal is to understand, for a _very_ minimal system with
just a couple of partitions and most all of the drivers built into the
kernel, how to boot the kernel and then load everything by hand, one
command at a time. I.e. = I'd like to mount /proc, mount /dev, mount
/sys all by hand and then work through understanding what the scripts
do step by step. I don't care about X for now. I do need networking.

   I'm wondering if there might be a good doc around, either LFS
specific or even a for-sale Linux book I could buy, that covers what
has to happen to get from that last stage of the kernel booting to a
bash prompt that allows a user to login?

Thanks,
Mark