Post LFS 6.7 RC-1-WIFI Config issues

Andrew Benton b3nton at gmail.com
Sun Sep 5 09:54:46 PDT 2010

On 05/09/10 16:28, Hamish West wrote:
> Hi,
> Well, YAY
> I have finally finished LFS.
> I used book version 6.7 RC1 but im stuck, I use wireless internet, but I
> dont know how to setup wlan0.
> I have installed Wireless-Tools from BLFS and iwconfig doesnt see wlan0,
> but it sees lan0.
> What should I do from here?

If iwconfig doesn't see wlan0 it suggests to me that wlan0 does not
exist. Did you compile support for your chipset into the kernel? What
chipset do you have? lspci will tell you. Then you should recompile your
kernel.
Does your wifi card need any firmware? If it's asking udev for firmware
and not getting it it should complain in the syslog
grep -i firmware /var/log/sys.log
dmesg may tell you something useful too.
Wireless-Tools will get you an unencrypted connection, to use something
more secure you will need wpa_supplicant

Andy