Udev can't find my usb flash from initramfs

Thiago Padilha tpadilha84 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 3 10:44:47 PDT 2010

  Hi, I have the entire LFS 6.6 inside a squashfs file. In grub I specify a
small initramfs file that contains a minimal system with busybox, this small
system only purpose is to mount the squashed file, and switch root to it. If
the squashfs file is in my hd, the system boots fine, and all my hardware is
detected properly. The problem is that I wanna put that squash file in my
usb stick and since the busybox system isnt detecting it(the only persistent
block device in /sys/block is sda which is my hd).
  Here is the snippet I use to mount my base initramfs system :

#/bin/sh

mount -t proc proc /proc
mount -t sysfs sysfs /sys
mknod /dev/null c 1 3
mknod /dev/tty c 5 0
mdev -s

  If I sucessfully switch_root / start the squashed LFS, eveything works
perfectly, if I have my usb drive plugged in I see two relevant block
devices :

  ls /sys/block/sd*
sda (my hard drive)
sdb (my usb stick)

 If I try that on the initramfs(before LFS init) I only see 'sda'. If I'm
using the same kernel in the same hardware, shouldn't the sysfs return the
same info? I know this isn't a LFS specific question(my system is already
working fine) but I don't know where else to ask this. The only thing that
comes to my mind right now is that the busybox's version of 'mount' does
something different than the LFS mount. Does anybody have a clue of what
might be happening?

  Thanks in advance.