make mrproper

Neal Murphy neal.p.murphy at alum.wpi.edu
Sun Nov 28 10:12:53 PST 2010

On Sunday 28 November 2010 12:08:15 robert wrote:
> ... That is the proximate end, as Aristotle might
> phrase it.  Speaking of whom, odd that most people think of him as a
> genius.  He believed and professed that women have fewer teeth than men.
>   A really ignorant thing to postulate.  Bordering on stupidity, given
> that he could actually have counted them.  But perhaps he was being
> metaphoric, something of and estrogen/testosterone observation.  In
> which case, I'm sure there are some who are inclined to believe him.

Totally off-topic, you may be right. Perhaps women in his day weren't so
easily scorned (much more subservient?) and the familiar proverb did not
appear for a few centuries more: "Beware the wrath of a woman scorned." I
would imagine that, in time, men came to learn that women can have more,
longer and sharper 'teeth'.

Back to the subject to hand explicitly answering your question, 'make
mrproper' is issued in the root directory of the kernel sources. That is, if
you unpacked the linux sources for 2.4.27 in /home/robert/linux-2.4.27, you
would 'cd /home/robert/linux-2.4.27;make mrproper'. Said elsely, 'mrproper'
is defined in the top-level linux kernel makefile.