lastlog string

Mike Hollis zzflop at embarqmail.com
Thu Nov 25 13:45:46 PST 2010

 I just noticed that the printing of lastlog after login :

Last login: Thu Nov 25 14:42:51 -0500 2010 on /dev/tty4

I thought this used to include the username . I poked around in
the code for Shadow to see if I could decipher the origon of this
string but got lost in a jungle of includes,stuctures,etc.

I'm guessing that -0500 is my offset from GMT . On another partition
with LFS  built in July the string is the same. A ssh login to a remote
machine with Debian installed  yields :

Last login: Thu Nov 25 16:24:34 2010 from eagle.cowpie.net

This is all really not a big deal; It's odd that I just noticed it.

Is this a variable that can be configured ?

Thanks,

--- Mike H. ---