Klogd segfault

Fenna Pel f.pel at xs4all.nl
Thu Nov 25 10:21:08 PST 2010

Hi all,

Not sure wether this post should go to this list or the lfs-dev list. It
touches both lists i think.

The issue was klogd segfaulting at 46 during boot and manual start/restart.
The first time it apeared to me was while building lfs-6.7 (after being
away from lfs since version 6.2)
using jhalfs I build lfs-6.7 on 3 different systems (all x86), on a
pentium dual-core also one manual build.
With a repeatability of 100% klogd segfaulted.
Diverting to a 6.3, a 6.5 and a svn build gave me the same klogd segfault!

The segfault showing up across lfs-versions made me think about the
kernel-config. I based all the configs on the same baseconfig, covering
what i thought i would need.
An internet search on klogd and kernel configuration provided the
answer: CONFIG_KALLSYMS must be set! and I managed to get it unset for
my builds.
(make menuconfig: general setup - configure standard kernel features -
Load all symbols for debugging/ksymoops )

Hope this is helpfull

regards, Fenna