"make" error, of significance?

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Nov 24 17:31:40 PST 2010

On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 06:21:14PM -0600, amalafrida wrote:
> make yields the following message ... should I be concerned?
>
> ../../gcc-4.5.1/gcc/tree.h:5459: error: 'LANG_TYPE' undeclared (first
> use in this function)
> ../../gcc-4.5.1/gcc/tree.h:5459: warning: comparison is always true due
> to limited range of data type
> make[2]: *** [build/gencondmd.o] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/mnt/lfs/sources/gcc-build/gcc'
> make[1]: *** [all-gcc] Error 2
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/mnt/lfs/sources/gcc-build'
> make: *** [all] Error 2

 Yes, of course you should be concerned, the build has failed.  You
cannot ignore *errors* in building or installing (although you
should ignore warnings, and may sometimes need to accept that tests
fail).

 Taking a wild guess, did you remove any existing gcc-4.5.1
directory, freshly extract gcc (and then gmp etc within it), and use a
fresh (empty) gcc-build directory ?  If you didn't, that's the likely
cause of this: you need fresh source (and an empty build directory for
the packages that specify those).

 If not that, I've no idea - I suspect it gets defined in a
generated header within gcc, but I don't know where or how.  It's
certainly not from a system header, and I can't see it in the source
(although there is a lot of noise from LANG_TYPE_.*_CHECK in my
matches).  Unfortunately, google has gone dumb on me, and thinks
that "LANG_TYPE" (even with double quotes) can be matched by lang_type
so I've no idea how this problem has arisen (and I don't recall it
being mentioned on this list).

ĸen