e2fsprogs puzzle

Mike Hollis zzflop at embarqmail.com
Sat Nov 20 12:52:00 PST 2010

On Sat, Nov 20, 2010 at 08:56:39PM +0100, Juan Antonio Moreno Carmona wrote:
> >  Each of tests had a separate fail log , and reading the first one
> > indicated that mtab  was missing as It should be at this stage, So I
> > added one and an fstab also, ran make check again and they all passed.
> >

> /etc/mtab shouldn't  be missing as of chap 6.6 Creating Essentila files and
> Symlinks:
>
> "A proper Linux system maintains a list of the mounted file systems in the
> file /etc/mtab. Normally, this file would be created when we mount a new
> file system. Since we will not be mounting any file systems inside our
> chroot environment, create an empty file for utilities that expect the
> presence of /etc/mtab:
>
> touch /etc/mtab"
>

> > I don't if this indicates a problem in the environment or some other
> > bugaboo in the install, But I think not and will proceed.
> >
> > Mike H.
> >
> > --

  Puzzle solved. The bugaboo was my oversight. Part of the problem
is how the lynx browser renders the page.

 A proper Linux system maintains a list of the mounted file systems in
 the file /etc/mtab. Normally, this file would be created when we mount
 a new file system. Since we will not be mounting any file systems inside our
 chroot environment,create an empty file for utilities that expect the
 presence of /etc/mtab:
touch /etc/mtab

No line space between the colon and command. The links browser both
graphical and text render it with the line space included which is
easier to see.

 I really didn't know that mtab was required for the install process,
but I do now.

 Thanks for the help.

--- Mike Hollis ---