e2fsprogs puzzle

Mike Hollis zzflop at embarqmail.com
Sat Nov 20 11:33:20 PST 2010

 I started a new dev build yesterday and thought for once I would
finish without a hitch. I usually introduce a problem myself by
forgetting a make install or something after stopping which is why
I use jhalfs , but I started a manual install last pm.

 Things went smoothly until make check for e2fsprogs-1.41.12 . All
the tests failed except for 3. I remembered having this once before;
I don't remember the book version, but I continued with the install
and booted the new sytem, compiled e2fsprogs again and ran make check
and all tests passed.

 Bill Brown documented a similar problem on this list in May , but there
was no solution reached (at least in the thread).

 Each of tests had a separate fail log , and reading the first one
indicated that mtab  was missing as It should be at this stage, So I
added one and an fstab also, ran make check again and they all passed.

I don't if this indicates a problem in the environment or some other
bugaboo in the install, But I think not and will proceed.

Mike H.