LFS 6.7 + BLFS SVN pure 64bit

Stuart Stegall keltor at keltor.org
Tue Nov 16 13:10:20 PST 2010

On Sat, Nov 13, 2010 at 2:25 PM, Ken Moffat <ken at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 13, 2010 at 07:01:23PM +0100, loki wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> has anyone tried lfs 6.7 on a 64bit platform. I had great problems
>> with some packages from BLFS after I installed LFS 6.7. And during
>> the compile of 6.7 I had some problems but somehow I circumvented them.
>> And the system ran. But when I tried to compile Open-Office 3.2.1,
>> mysql 5.1.45, Python 2.6.4 and some others I had great problems,
>> actually I couldn't compile these packagaes and some more. GLIBC always
>> segfaulted on me. After trying for 2 weeks I reverted to LFS 6.6 and
>> everything went smoothly.
>> Am I the only one?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Daniel
>>
>  I'm worried about how you worked around the problems you had
> building 6.7.  For me, building LFS-6.7 and a few almost-6.7 svn
> versions on x86_64 was straightforward.
>
>  For the record, I'm seeing intermittent segfaults in X with both
> radeon r100 and r200 video cards since I moved to a newer xorg-server
> / radeon driver, and yes, the last thing mentioned is libc, but that
> doesn't necessarily mean the problem started there.  In my case I
> suspect the radeon driver (my problem is unpredictable, sometimes I
> can be using X for over 12 hours without a problem, and I suspect
> one of the screensavers is what triggers it).  A couple of times,
> I've left a machine compiling something, and come back to find X had
> crashed during the compile, but each time the next compile worked.
>
>  I don't use OOo, but I have compiled that version of python, and
> more-recent versions of mysql, without segfaults.
>
>  Care to mention what problems you had when you were building 6.7 ?
>
>  There are undoubtedly still things in BLFS which don't build on
> x86_64, but your problem seems to be different.
>
> ĸen
> --
> das eine Mal als Tragödie, das andere Mal als Farce
> --

This is my personal experience of course, but ...

The LFS 6.7/SVN builds on x86_64 with no problems.  I can test with
little problem, though I do have to install glibc before testing will
work properly, this is probably a host system problem.  libxml-2.7.5
and 2.7.6 caused quite a few problems for me, but that was related to
zlibc+x86_64 data structures.  Unzip needs to be built with
linux_noasm instead of linux (because it uses x86 asm).  I've done X,
Gnome, mysql, ruby, python-2.7, nginx, cups, alsa, the full gstreamer
stack (ok some media stuff did take some "massaging"), Boost, Firefox,
and QT4.5.

If someone would like, I could submit the instructions for Nginx and Boost.

Other than the media stuff and Unzip, nothing segfaults, and
everything compiles as is.  I'm using nouveau+kms for X