LFS 6.7 Chapter 7.5 Configuring the Linux console

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Nov 15 09:49:03 PST 2010

On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 05:10:46PM +0000, David Shaw wrote:
> Stupid question time.
>
> What font would be appropriate for a British set up?  I cannot make head
> nor tail of the options available.

 Try them.  I've no idea how your screen is set up, but *for just
english*  lat1-16.psfu.gz (so "lat1-16") is probably an adequate
place to begine.  Once your new system is usable, take time to play
with the fonts in /lib/kbd/consolefonts *as a normal user* (so,
only in one tty! - if things go bad, log out from that tty).

 Some will be too small, others too big.  Probably, some offend your
aesthetics.  For UTF-8 text, you also need to decide which languages
you wish to cover (the console can only do at most 512 glyphs).  If
you are really keen, I'll point you to my own sigma-consolefonts
(8x16) and LatGrkCyr (12x22) at
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/~ken/fonts/ - the 12x22 is slightly
buggy at the moment (a few kildin-sami glyphs don't display!).  Most
people don't need a font this big.  My sigma fonts include some
example alphabets, and might be useful to help you review the
coverage of other fonts even if you dislike mine.

 In general, any psfu font will work for displaying unicode, but
most only cover a small subset of the available glyphs, so the
letter I use to sign my name in my posts is often not rendered.
Some fonts also have issues with undefined glyphs - those ought to
render as an inverse-video question mark, but I think I've seen some
fonts do other things.  Also, certain fonts render some accented
letters without the accent.

> At least the keymap is nice and easy to work out  :-)
 Actually, that depends on your keyboard - some laptops have very
weird variations.

> Many thanks,
>
> David Shaw
> --