LFS 6.7 + BLFS SVN pure 64bit

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Nov 13 12:25:49 PST 2010

On Sat, Nov 13, 2010 at 07:01:23PM +0100, loki wrote:
> Hello,
>
> has anyone tried lfs 6.7 on a 64bit platform. I had great problems
> with some packages from BLFS after I installed LFS 6.7. And during
> the compile of 6.7 I had some problems but somehow I circumvented them.
> And the system ran. But when I tried to compile Open-Office 3.2.1,
> mysql 5.1.45, Python 2.6.4 and some others I had great problems,
> actually I couldn't compile these packagaes and some more. GLIBC always
> segfaulted on me. After trying for 2 weeks I reverted to LFS 6.6 and
> everything went smoothly.
> Am I the only one?
>
> Regards,
> Daniel

 I'm worried about how you worked around the problems you had
building 6.7.  For me, building LFS-6.7 and a few almost-6.7 svn
versions on x86_64 was straightforward.

 For the record, I'm seeing intermittent segfaults in X with both
radeon r100 and r200 video cards since I moved to a newer xorg-server
/ radeon driver, and yes, the last thing mentioned is libc, but that
doesn't necessarily mean the problem started there.  In my case I
suspect the radeon driver (my problem is unpredictable, sometimes I
can be using X for over 12 hours without a problem, and I suspect
one of the screensavers is what triggers it).  A couple of times,
I've left a machine compiling something, and come back to find X had
crashed during the compile, but each time the next compile worked.

 I don't use OOo, but I have compiled that version of python, and
more-recent versions of mysql, without segfaults.

 Care to mention what problems you had when you were building 6.7 ?

 There are undoubtedly still things in BLFS which don't build on
x86_64, but your problem seems to be different.

ĸen