Problem Booting up the new system ?

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Wed Nov 10 11:26:45 PST 2010

On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 09:00:51PM +0300, Flan Alflani wrote:

> ĸen,
>
> Well, I did Version SVN-20100529 of the book on kvm (same as this
> Machine ) .config-2.6.34
> i it work fine. but with this Version (SVN-20101027) i got this problem .

 Well, at least your assumed name is now pronouncable!  For LFS, if
you cannot configure a kernel which boots on the real hardware
before you start, it becomes very hard to diagnose the problem if
the new kernel fails to boot.  For x86 macs, you have the additional
problem that few people here know anything about them.

 I know nothing about the intricacies of configuring a kernel to
boot in a virtual machine, except that the correct options appear to
often differ from what is used for the real hardware (disk
controllers, network adaptors, etc).  Perhaps there is an appropriate
defconfig you can use as a starting position ?

 It's also possible that something in the efi-specific code is being
miscompiled by the LFS toolchain, or that something else is broken.
On any other hardware, I would agree with whoever suggested the
hardware was broken.  Here, I have no idea what to recommend to get
from where you are now to a system which gives you enough
information to debug any remaining boot problems.

ĸen