missing output from init scripts

John Harrigan jfharrigan at fedex.com
Fri Nov 5 12:45:06 PDT 2010

* zzflop at embarqmail.com (Nov 05, 2010 @ 14:40-0400):
> On Wed, Nov 03, 2010 at 10:58:08AM -0600, John Harrigan wrote:
> > (disclaimer - I'm not using a standard build so I understand if no one
> > can help me.)
> >
> > I've mostly followed the development book and added an initrd and BSD
> > style init scripts.  My problem is that output from the rc scripts is
> > not echoed to the console during boot.  I do get kernel messages on
> > the console though.  I know the rc scripts are running because I can
> > verify their work after logging in.
>
> I'm a little confused, did you use the init installed by SystemV and
> write/adapt your own scripts ? Seems like a lot of complexity.
>
> I used Free-BSD for a while and found the init scripts to be alien
> after SysV.

Yes, that's what I did.  I took the information in the BSD-init hint
and some existing Slackware init scripts and wrote/adapted my own.
I wanted a better understanding of the boot process and for me it
was easier to wrap my head around the BSD style scripts.

> If you think it an error in the basic install, it's pretty easy to back
> up your system as is if you have partionable space left . I do this
> often and I can clone an os and boot the clone in a few minutes. Then
> you could modify the clone to "Book"  and see if the problem is due to
> your modifications or an install problem.

Good idea, I'll give that a shot and see if there are any differences.