missing output from init scripts

Mike Hollis zzflop at embarqmail.com
Fri Nov 5 11:40:10 PDT 2010

On Wed, Nov 03, 2010 at 10:58:08AM -0600, John Harrigan wrote:
> (disclaimer - I'm not using a standard build so I understand if no one
> can help me.)
>
> I've mostly followed the development book and added an initrd and BSD
> style init scripts.  My problem is that output from the rc scripts is
> not echoed to the console during boot.  I do get kernel messages on
> the console though.  I know the rc scripts are running because I can
> verify their work after logging in.

I'm a little confused, did you use the init installed by SystemV and
write/adapt your own scripts ? Seems like a lot of complexity.

I used Free-BSD for a while and found the init scripts to be alien
after SysV.

If you think it an error in the basic install, it's pretty easy to back
up your system as is if you have partionable space left . I do this
often and I can clone an os and boot the clone in a few minutes. Then
you could modify the clone to "Book"  and see if the problem is due to
your modifications or an install problem.

-- Mike Hollis ---