missing output from init scripts

John Harrigan jfharrigan at fedex.com
Fri Nov 5 08:33:54 PDT 2010

* akuktin at gmail.com (Nov 03, 2010 @ 20:16+0100):
> On Wed, 03 Nov 2010 10:58:08 -0600 John Harrigan <jfharrigan at fedex.com> wrote:
> > My problem is that output from the rc scripts is not echoed to the
> > console during boot.  I do get kernel messages on the console though.
> > I know the rc scripts are running because I can  verify their work
> > after logging in.
<snip>
> Do the scripts run in the proper virtual terminal?

I did some testing with the ttys.  I can echo text directly to the ttys
and it appears on the corresponding virtual terminal.  I don't see rc
output on any of the virtual terminals.  While running the rc scripts
I have:

  /dev/stdout -> /proc/self/fd/1
  /proc/self/fd/1 -> /dev/tty1

If I echo to either /dev/stdout or /proc/self/fd/1 I don't get any output.
However, if I re-link /dev/stdout directly to /dev/tty1 I can echo to
/dev/stdout and the output appears as expected.  I don't really know much
about /proc but this makes me think my my problem lies with my /proc.
According to /proc/mounts my /proc is mounted:

  proc /proc proc rw,relatime 0 0