missing output from init scripts

John Harrigan jfharrigan at fedex.com
Wed Nov 3 09:58:08 PDT 2010

(disclaimer - I'm not using a standard build so I understand if no one
can help me.)

I've mostly followed the development book and added an initrd and BSD
style init scripts.  My problem is that output from the rc scripts is
not echoed to the console during boot.  I do get kernel messages on
the console though.  I know the rc scripts are running because I can
verify their work after logging in.

After booting is complete, I can log in and run the rc scripts and the
output is echoed to the console.  Inside the rc scripts, I can redirect
output to a file and the output is correct.

The init script that runs from the initrd is able to echo output to the
console, but once I switch to the real root the only output I get is
kernel messages until I'm presented with the login prompt.

Any ideas on how to debug this would be appreciated.  Thanks.