About Swap space and Virtual Memory

zzflop zzflop at embarqmail.com
Wed Mar 31 03:03:05 PDT 2010

On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 04:56:04PM +0800, liu bo wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Could anybody tell me whether the SWAP space of my computer is used?
>
> According to the information below,
>
>             Swap:   307192k total,        0k used
>
>             VIRT SWAP RES  SHR S %CPU %MEM    TIME+  COMMAND
>             693m 657m  35m 8780 S    0      2.0            0:51.46  X
>
> I don't know how to explain the two conflicted data above.

My default top command doesn't show the SWAP field, but I
read the man page to see how to toggle it and I also have
entries in the SWAP field with the upper "0k used". I don't
know the reason for it, but am curious about the diff too.

I rarely show anything in the upper entry except when
playing video files.

Mike H.
_-_-_-_