Host requirement package version difference

stosss stosss at gmail.com
Tue Mar 30 14:13:47 PDT 2010

On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 4:17 PM, Suraj Linux
<suraj.embedded.linux at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just checked my system's packages and the version on it. The version
> of binutils and GCC  is higher than recommended.
>
> Binutils: (GNU Binutils for Ubuntu) 2.20
> gcc (Ubuntu 4.4.1-4ubuntu9) 4.4.1
>

> One option is that I uninstall them and reinstall the earlier version.
> But as I am not very experienced I am not sure how much it will effect
> the system. Is there an alternate solution. Presently I am using
> Ubuntu 9.10
>

> And how do I make sure about symlink for
> Bash-2.05a
> Bison-1.875
>

> The output of version  check is as follows. I guess every thing else is fine.
>
> lfs at robot-laptop:~$ bash version-check.sh
> bash, version 4.0.33(1)-release
> /bin/sh -> /bin/dash
> Binutils: (GNU Binutils for Ubuntu) 2.20
> bison (GNU Bison) 2.4.1
> /usr/bin/yacc -> /usr/bin/bison.yacc
> bzip2,  Version 1.0.5, 10-Dec-2007.
> Coreutils:  7.4
> diff (GNU diffutils) 2.8.1
> find (GNU findutils) 4.4.2
> GNU Awk 3.0.4
> /usr/bin/awk -> /usr/bin/gawk
> gcc (Ubuntu 4.4.1-4ubuntu9) 4.4.1
> GNU C Library (EGLIBC) stable release version
> GNU grep 2.5.4
> gzip 1.3.12
> Linux version 2.6.31-19-generic (buildd at palmer) (gcc version 4.4.1
> (Ubuntu 4.4.1-4ubuntu8) ) #56-Ubuntu SMP Thu Jan 28 01:26:53 UTC 2010
> m4 (GNU M4) 1.4.13
> GNU Make 3.81
> patch 2.5.9
> Perl version='5.10.0';
> GNU sed version 4.2.1
> tar (GNU tar) 1.22
> makeinfo (GNU texinfo) 4.13
> Compilation OK

What book version are you using?

>From LFS 6.6
Gcc-3.0.1  (Versions greater than 4.4.3 are not recommended as they
have not been tested)

The version of GCC on your system is within range.

--
If we can but prevent the government from wasting the labours of the
people, under the pretence of taking care of them, they must become