Host requirement package version difference

Suraj Linux suraj.embedded.linux at gmail.com
Tue Mar 30 13:17:55 PDT 2010

Hi,

I just checked my system's packages and the version on it. The version
of binutils and GCC  is higher than recommended.

Binutils: (GNU Binutils for Ubuntu) 2.20
gcc (Ubuntu 4.4.1-4ubuntu9) 4.4.1

One option is that I uninstall them and reinstall the earlier version.
But as I am not very experienced I am not sure how much it will effect
the system. Is there an alternate solution. Presently I am using
Ubuntu 9.10

And how do I make sure about symlink for
Bash-2.05a
Bison-1.875

The output of version  check is as follows. I guess every thing else is fine.

lfs at robot-laptop:~$ bash version-check.sh
bash, version 4.0.33(1)-release
/bin/sh -> /bin/dash
Binutils: (GNU Binutils for Ubuntu) 2.20
bison (GNU Bison) 2.4.1
/usr/bin/yacc -> /usr/bin/bison.yacc
bzip2,  Version 1.0.5, 10-Dec-2007.
Coreutils:  7.4
diff (GNU diffutils) 2.8.1
find (GNU findutils) 4.4.2
GNU Awk 3.0.4
/usr/bin/awk -> /usr/bin/gawk
gcc (Ubuntu 4.4.1-4ubuntu9) 4.4.1
GNU C Library (EGLIBC) stable release version
GNU grep 2.5.4
gzip 1.3.12
Linux version 2.6.31-19-generic (buildd at palmer) (gcc version 4.4.1
(Ubuntu 4.4.1-4ubuntu8) ) #56-Ubuntu SMP Thu Jan 28 01:26:53 UTC 2010
m4 (GNU M4) 1.4.13
GNU Make 3.81
patch 2.5.9
Perl version='5.10.0';