Bk6.6Ch6.9 glibc `__stack_chk_guard' work around.

Chris Staub chris at beaker67.com
Tue Mar 30 00:35:05 PDT 2010

On 03/30/2010 12:05 AM, x2164 at lycos.com wrote:

>       Hi,
>
>       This is the work around i'm using.
>
>       I don't know if it will help on x86_64.
>
>       Assuming your compilation stopped at the line 'linking'
>       object files to produce 'nscd':
>
>            Paste up the 'linking' line that failed but
>            include -lssp as an option.  I'll add the line
>            i used at end of this letter. Its editor
>            friendly, you'll probably need to adjust the
>            directory paths to coincide with your build
>            directory.  I put it in a file and executed
>            it as a script in the glibc-build/nscd directory.
>
>            For me, this executed correctly and left 'nscd'
>            executable in glibc-build/nscd.
>
>            Move up to glibc-build and re-started 'make'
>            which finished compilation with no errors.
>
>            Ran "make -k check 2>&1 | tee glibc-check-log"
>            which produced only the 'posix/annexc' error.
>
>            Dropped out of chroot and re-booted. While
>            /mnt/lfs was still just a normal partition i
>            backed it up.
>
>            Performed mountings and re-entered chroot and
>            installed the glibc-2.11.1 from Bk.6.6_Ch.6.9.

The reason libssp is not found is simply because it's not *supposed* to
be. GCC has not yet been installed in Chapter 6, into /usr, so the only
libssp present at the time Glibc is being built is in /tools. However,
since Glibc is supposed to go into /usr, it will not link to anything in
/tools, including libssp. Again, this is exactly how it is supposed to
be. The problem is simply that Glibc is not *supposed* to be looking for
libssp at all, so you should not attempt to "fix" it by forcing it to
link to libssp. You need to find the root of the problem by determining
why Glibc is even trying to find libssp in the first place.

Arguably, you could also just symlink /usr/lib/libssp.so -> /tools, but
this is simply another workaround, not an actual fix.