Unable to compile GCC-4.4.3, Pass 1

jmscott at setspace.com jmscott at setspace.com
Sat Mar 27 09:59:40 PDT 2010

> The book is not clear and there are places that do need to be written
> clearer. This is not an attack on anyone who is connected to what is
> in the book. It is hard for you who maintain the book to see why and
> how the new reader can be confused because you know the process so
> well isn't confusing for you.

well, lfs is a pretty ambitious project.

after a long hiatus from building kernels, i recently built a kernel using LFS.
to me, the 6.5 book is top caliber.  my goal coming to LFS was simply to
build a bootable kernel, not learn all the in and outs of kernel construction.
LFS succeeded resoundingly.

if i were an LFS contributor, my problem would be that the
audience is too broad.  clearly some of the complaints are done
by folks who have trivial experience building large oss systems.

if a neophyte of lfs upon failure is not willing to wipe everything
and truly start from scratch, perhaps many times, before posting
to this list, then perhaps that neophyte is not ready to leave the temple.

-j