Unable to compile GCC-4.4.3, Pass 1

stosss stosss at gmail.com
Sat Mar 27 04:25:03 PDT 2010

On Sat, Mar 27, 2010 at 6:04 AM, Philippe Delavalade
<philippe.delavalade at sfr.fr> wrote:
> Le samedi 27 mars à 10:27, Simon Geard a écrit :
>> On Fri, 2010-03-26 at 23:20 -0400, Chris Staub wrote:
>> > I don't need anyone to tell me how important it is to make sure the
>> > book is clear - ensuring that the text is technically correct, and
>> > more importantly understandable, is my primary goal.
>
> I'm a frenchman and english is not my natural language ; nethertheless I
> always found that the book was very clear, even the first time I built
> lfs. I was (and I'm always) a linux user but not a developper or sothing
> like that ; as to me, difficulties come where configuring the kernel ! In
> the first chapter, we are guided step by step.
>

>> Hey, calm down a moment, Chris. Nobody is disputing that. But while
>> making things understandable might be your goal, people *are* still
>> getting confused by things in the book. If they weren't, this list would
>> be a ghost town...
>>
>> So when we see people making errors like this, it doesn't matter if you
>> or I think the text is perfectly understandable. The evidence on the
>> list shows at least people find it unclear, and to be blunt, their
>> opinion in the matter is what's important.
>
> Yes but maybe people don't read carefully parts where general assumptions
> are done. I guess that they only take care to command lines.

Sometimes the reader just doesn't understand even when they read it
slowly or several times.

> Maybe a suggestion for those who read to quikly :
> five or six lines more in each chapter, something like
> cd /$LFS/sources
> tar -xvf package-version.tar.[gz|bz2]
> cd package-version
> cd ..
> rm -vfr package-version
> and eventually
> rm -vfr package-build
>
> It should perhaps prevent people not to follow 5.3 ?

I wish they would add this.

--
If we can but prevent the government from wasting the labours of the
people, under the pretence of taking care of them, they must become