Unable to compile GCC-4.4.3, Pass 1

Philippe Delavalade philippe.delavalade at sfr.fr
Sat Mar 27 03:04:45 PDT 2010

Le samedi 27 mars à 10:27, Simon Geard a écrit :
> On Fri, 2010-03-26 at 23:20 -0400, Chris Staub wrote:
> > I don't need anyone to tell me how important it is to make sure the
> > book is clear - ensuring that the text is technically correct, and
> > more importantly understandable, is my primary goal.

I'm a frenchman and english is not my natural language ; nethertheless I
always found that the book was very clear, even the first time I built
lfs. I was (and I'm always) a linux user but not a developper or sothing
like that ; as to me, difficulties come where configuring the kernel ! In
the first chapter, we are guided step by step.

> Hey, calm down a moment, Chris. Nobody is disputing that. But while
> making things understandable might be your goal, people *are* still
> getting confused by things in the book. If they weren't, this list would
> be a ghost town...
>
> So when we see people making errors like this, it doesn't matter if you
> or I think the text is perfectly understandable. The evidence on the
> list shows at least people find it unclear, and to be blunt, their
> opinion in the matter is what's important.

Yes but maybe people don't read carefully parts where general assumptions
are done. I guess that they only take care to command lines.

Maybe a suggestion for those who read to quikly :
five or six lines more in each chapter, something like
cd /$LFS/sources
tar -xvf package-version.tar.[gz|bz2]
cd package-version
cd ..
rm -vfr package-version
and eventually
rm -vfr package-build

It should perhaps prevent people not to follow 5.3 ?

--
Ph. Delavalade